Local residents are organising a campaign against the proposed redevelopment of the “Harmony” pub (also called “la pearl”) on the corner of Railton Road and Barnwell Road. It has been bought by the owner of the Dog Star, Antic Ltd. The deadline for submitting comments to the council is this Thursday, 4 APRIL 2012
One of the residents, who lives very close to the property, says: “This means noise pollution, lots of loud drunken people wondering about late at night, litter, fights, police etc etc. It will really affect residents living near the venue. …It seems really inappropriate for a heavily residential area!”
Several residents are organising a petition. To sign it, email email@example.com with your full name and address.
If people want to write in their own comments, as mentioned above, the deadline for doing so is 4th April.
To comment you must make sure that you include your name and address, and the new reference 12/00163/FUL and write to:
Lambeth planning applications
1st Floor Phoenix House
10 Wandsworth Road
Or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
and also copy it to email@example.com
Also send a copy of your comments to your local councillors:
Herne Hill ward Councillors:
Carole Boucher firstname.lastname@example.org phone:07814 567 914
Leanne Targett-Parker email@example.com phone: 07805 942 796
Jim Dickson firstname.lastname@example.org phone: 020 3149 6657
Join the facebook group to stay updated, search for: 82 Railton Road Community
The reference number to quote is 12/00163/FUL
The plans can be viewed on the Lambeth Planning applications database – search by the reference number – or go to Tate Libary to have a look.
The full wording of the petition is:
Petition in relation to planning application 12/00163/FUL
We the undersigned residents of the residential streets surrounding 82 Railton Road (previously known as Harmony Bar) object to planning application 12/00163/FUL. We object on two grounds:
(2) Use of building
- We believe the plans are not sympathetic to the area, the extension to the top and side of the existing building and to the side will be overbearing and look very unsightly and conflict with the surrounding area
Use of building as pub/restaurant/entertainment venue
- We strongly feel this site is no longer suitable to be used as a pub or entertainment venue, as the surounding streets have become more residential and it is too close to these homes.
- In recent years most shops nearby have closed and been turned into flats, and the school eight doors away demolished and rebuilt as 140 flats, so It has become a more residential area and the pub building continued to being used in this way seems totally inappropriate
- This area is served by many other pubs and late night venues nearby, which are not located in such dense residential areas.
- It will not be a pub for local people, closing at 11.30pm. It will be a destination bar. The developer owns the Dog Star and other venues which rely on late night licenses and loud music to make money. Even if this venue starts with a regular license, every effort will be made by the owners to extend this to a late night one
- Noise pollution from both the music and from patrons outside when they leave – this will be very disturbing for many residents
- Anti-social behaviour associated with drinking establishments & entertainment venues – this will be a real problem, and there are many families with young children in the area – which it seems particularly unfair
- · Anti-social behaviour associated with drinking establishments & entertainment venues will be a real problem, and unfairly impact on many families with young children in the area
- Increased litter issues – this will be very unpleasant and again unfair in a very residential area
- Noise and litter associated with outdoor smoking – this will be disruptive and unpleasant for residents
- Increased traffic and parking issues – will have a negative impact on the local community around the establishment.
We ask that the licence be revoked and the venue be given permission to be developed for residential use only